Sodium per serve:
Shepherd’s Pie flavouring sachet – up to 579mg per serve.
*This is for the flavouring only. Not the entire meal as shown in this recipe.
For the Base:
- 25ml olive oil
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 carrots diced small
- 2 ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 leek – washed, trimmed and diced small
- 200g freshly podded or frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 twists of cracked black pepper
- 1 dessert spoon of tomato puree*
- 175ml water
For the Topping:
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped small and evenly
- 75g salt-reduced margarine
- 55ml low-fat milk
- 1 generous pinch of grated nutmeg
*Check the ingredients label to make sure you have a no-added salt version.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion, leek, tomato and carrot – cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the minced lamb and cook for 4 minutes to brown.
- Add the purée, water, bay leaf, mint and rosemary.
- Season with the pepper, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the peas at the end.
To make the topping:
- Boil the potatoes until soft.
- Drain thoroughly and mash with the margarine and milk and season with nutmeg.
- Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the mash and bake for 40 minutes or until piping hot and golden brown.