Serves 4 – 240g serve
Sodium per serve:
With stock: 243mg
With water: 147mg
Tomato-based commercial pasta sauce 994mg per serve
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 1 peeled, washed and diced carrot
- 1 washed and diced stick of celery
- 4 washed and finely chopped spring onions
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes*
- 1 x bay leaf
- 2 twists of cracked black or ground pepper
- 1x 15 ml tomato puree*
- 225g minced lean beef
- 100ml of water or homemade stock (not stock cubes)
- 4 shredded basil leaves
- 2 generous pinches of dried or fresh thyme.
- 15ml olive oil
*Check the ingredients label to make sure you have a no-added salt version.
- Gently warm a thick bottom saucepan on the stove.
- Add the olive oil and heat for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir until soft but not coloured.
- Next add the carrot, celery, thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and stir well for 1 minute.
- Add the mince and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato and the water, season with the pepper and the bay leaf.
- Simmer for 25 minutes with the lid on over a gentle heat.
Once cooked and ready to serve add the shredded basil and chopped spring onions.
Serve with spaghetti or different pasta shapes.
Alternative for mince could be tofu and other textured vegetable proteins on the market. Other chopped vegetables like leeks could be used to bulk out the goodness.